Del Campo Roar

• Graduation ~ June 8th

• Last Day of School ~ June 11th

• 5/22~Varsity Softball Playoff Games 5 and 7 p.m., Arnaiz Park in Stockton

• Senior Goodbye Rally ~ May 31st

• Spring Fling ~ May 30th

It’s a bird! It’s a plane! No – It’s a woman!

Captain Marvel proves yet again that raising the standard for female representation raises revenue too!

Anastasia Hatzakos

The trailer went viral – but the text broke the Internet.

When it dropped, it seemed like the whole world was watching: Text began to form. “Discover” – Lens flare! – “What makes” – Cool fight scene! – “Her”- Rotating shot of Captain Marvel flying! The pivotal moment arrives as around the word ‘her’, letters fill in until a new phrase is made – a hero.

“Captain Marvel”’s opening weekend secured its #1 ranking nation wide and made over $150,000,000 at the Box Office. While Marvel movies generally cause world wide uproar upon release, this movie was different. This was Marvel’s first female-led superhero movie, and coming on the heels of DC’s “Wonder Woman” success meant one thing: the public needed more female superheros.

As a young woman, the emotion behind seeing that ‘her’ was in ‘a hero’ was breathtaking. Posts about the words themselves flooded Twitter, with high expectations on accurate representation of strong women.

Marvel definitely delivered.

“Captain Marvel” not only created a complex character with Brie Larsen’s Kree warrior, Vers, but it championed compassionate support between women, gave young girls high ambitions and good role models, and acknowledged female perseverance in the face of adversity. Even alongside famed movie character Nick Fury, played by Samuel L. Jackson, Captain Marvel clearly remained the powerhouse of the film. They worked together as equals, he respected her strategies and advice and she saved him on multiple occasions – not the other way around.

There are countless other things to say about “Captain Marvel”s spectacular approach on female empowerment – no over-sexualized female costumes, representation of women of color, Vers’ reckless damn-the-rules approach to her mission that has been a beloved trope of past brooding male characters – but above all, “Captain Marvel”’s ending sent a vital message to girls and women everywhere:  we do not need to justify our strength to those who feel threatened by it.

With movies like “Captain Marvel” and “Black Panther” representing populations that were previously limited in movie roles and storylines, there’s a chance that the energy and desire for equality of younger generations is finally going to make a difference in Hollywood. Films have become a source of inspiration for all viewers, and especially for impressionable youth, who won’t be able to imagine themselves as anything beyond what they SEE is possible.

It’s not that superheros need to be taken away from men, or that male personas need to be weakened to provide female superiority. It’s not even that heroes like Iron Man, Superman, Captain America, and the Hulk aren’t inspiring, or that they aren’t in enjoyable movies (I will personally attest to how much I love ALL Marvel movies). “Captain Marvel” showed us that it is possible for women to be the most powerful people in the universe; to be pilots; to be warriors – and that nobody can take that away from us.

The movie’s latest success will most likely prove to Marvel that more female-led movies won’t hurt them in the box office. With projects like a Black Widow solo movie on hold for years, and a plethora of comic characters to choose from, they have no shortage of stories to bring to the big screen. I for one, am more than ready for more.

Enough with superhero groups with a bunch of men and only one woman. Enough with the overtly sexualized camera work and costumes. Enough with women being stuck on the sidelines, being silenced with a kiss, and being protected to the point of inaction.

“Captain Marvel” is a sign; we are at the tipping point of a new age in film and reality – and female superheros are going to take us there.

By Anastasia Hatzakos,

Roar Staff Writer

About the Writer
Anastasia Hatzakos, Editor in Chief

Anastasia Hatzakos has been a member of the DC Roar for 3 years. As a senior she holds leadership positions in International Club, Kids Helping Kids, and...

The Student News Site of Del Campo High School