Kids Helping Kids and The Gala

Maclainey Wade, Editor-In-Chief

Students in Del Campo’s Kids Helping Kids are servants. From the moment that students step into class, they take on a servant’s heart and serve the kids and families that are put in their path. KHK is a student-run non-profit organization that is run entirely by juniors and seniors that raises money in various ways, yet a large portion of our funds come from our annual gala. KHK is rooted in developing selfless servants as a part of society by equipping them with the skills necessary for running a non-profit to raise revenues for others. KHK is rooted in developing selfless servants as a part of society by equipping them with the skills necessary for running a non-profit to raise revenues for others.

Kids Helping Kids started with a mission. In 2012, Mr. Gordon presented to his students about Marla, a student at Del Campo who was sleeping homeless in DC park. From this moment forward, students bound together to form a non-profit organization aimed towards helping others selflessly. Eight years later, KHK has grown into a student-run non-profit corporation where students learn business application skills to run and raise money for less-advantaged children in four different populations. The first being children with pediatric cancer, providing funds for them as well as their families to defeat the heavy burden of medical bills. Other populations include the college-bound population, which comprises of donating to foster care children as well as at-risk patients. Students also serve global impact, as well as volunteer at local elementary schools. It prepares students for college, and to be leaders in various vocational industries.

The annual KHK Gala is where much of the profits are made: this year alone, over $83,000 was raised through the hard work that Del Campo students put in to create a magnificent turnout. Each year, there is a headlining artist that performs, and this year it was Wilder Woods, the lead singer of the Grammy-nominated band NEEDTOBREATHE.

During the Gala there is also a silent auction featuring many high-end products. Students running the gala help with everything from media, to production, to management, to set-up, and much more.

Kids Helping Kids is set apart from other non-profits because it is entirely student-run; those within KHK know that their efforts matter and make a difference in the lives of many by showing love to others, one person at a time.