Has vaping met its match?

Desiree Goldthorpe and Riley Hickethier

A new addition was added to Del Campo over winter break. Vape detectors were installed in the bathrooms all around campus to help fight the ongoing epidemic that has plagued our school, and many others across the country. Students from all grade levels have consistently been caught vaping on campus in the mornings before classes, during DCAAEL, and at lunch break. A lot of the time they are sneaking off to the restrooms at any chance they can get so school administrators decided to take a step to combat the constant vaping.  So, have the detectors been working? 

Some Del Campo students have their doubts.  One student, who wanted to remain anonymous, stated, “People don’t care. I’ve seen people purposely try to set them off.” 

On the contrary, administrators disagree with the qualms of students. Mr. Uhler suggested that “…there is a heightened awareness now of the fact that the detectors are in place, so I think there are at least some second thoughts about students using their vaping device in the restrooms.”   

Mr. Uhler explained that the detectors are silent alarms that send notifications to the cell phones of administrators, janitors, vice principals, and the principal. He stated that they go off at least 6 times a day if not more.  

Del Campo high-school is the only school in our district with detectors and is a test pilot for the new technology. Raj Rai, a Communications Specialist in the Communication Office at the San Juan Unified School District, said, “Del Campo is the pilot school to test them out and to evaluate their effectiveness…before the district determines if they will be extended anywhere else.”                                                      

Vaping is a serious problem with teens, not just students at this school. The amount of teens vaping and the number of teens getting addicted to vaping has risen dramatically in the past few years. Hopefully, the vape detectors will help prevent the spreading.