AVID senior celebration

AVID senior celebration

Sarah Mesloub, Editor

On April 29th the Del Campo AVID Program held their senior celebration at El Camino High School. Due to Covid this year many events were canceled but thanks to the AVID Program, and El Camino hosting the event, it was able to happen. AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is an academic support program for students. The program’s goal is to prepare students for college acceptance and success.

The AVID Senior celebration consisted of seven schools that included, Bella Vista, Casa Roble, our very own Del Campo, El Camino, Mesa Verde, Rio Americano, and San Juan High School. Each school was represented by one student that would give a speech on AVID and their experience in it, as well as anything else that they wished to speak about. For example, some students described their successes, failures, and overall high school experience. 

This year’s event looked quite different due to the circumstances. The Del Campo Avid Senior teacher explained how the event changed with Covid, “Normally we do it indoors and we invite as many people that have helped us on our journey. Usually there would be a representative from the state assembly but this year they just gave the certificates to the teachers to pass out. There were police there to enforce people wearing masks and to keep everything safe.”

The seniors were very excited they got to have their Senior Avid Celebration, Idaly Escoto told us, “I was thrilled to finally have an event this year. It was so nice to be around so many people.” Robert Pierce said “it was a fun time, with covid taking away everything. It was nice to finally have an event with a lot of people, it almost felt normal.”

After all the amazing speeches, each school’s class went up to the stage one school at a time. The teacher of the class announced each student’s name while students walked across the stage and received the AVID Senior Sash that they will also be wearing at graduation.