‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ Trailer: Analyzed

Warning SPOILERS FOR Spiderman: No Way Home and Wandavision (TV series)

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Trailer: Analyzed

Sophia Steenburg, Editor

Here’s what you missed…

Those who stayed for the post-credit scene in Spiderman: No Way Home (NWH), got to see the first teaser trailer for Marvel’s newest film, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (MoM). In that teaser trailer, the audience got to see Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen), Wong (Benedict Wong), Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams), and of course Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch). Upcoming Marvel star, Xochitl Gomez, will be playing America Chavez also known as Miss America. This film will be her introduction to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and hopefully viewers will be able to see more of her in the future. 

This movie takes place after the multiverse was tampered with in NWH. The multiverse was clearly not fixed at the end of the last film which leads into the plot of this new film. With the multiverse being open, audiences were able to see all three Spidermen from three different universes and the villains who were a part of their different universes. This has given Marvel the opportunity to introduce new characters to the MCU. 

Throughout the trailer, viewers can see many hidden “easter eggs” and possible cameos of characters from other Marvel franchises that are not a part of the official MCU, such as, Deadpool, X-Men, and different What-If characters.

It appears that Wanda Maximoff will be a huge part of this new film too. For those who have not seen WandaVision, Maximoff creates a small town called Westview, in response to the “death” of Vision. Wanda’s heartbreak over his “death” is what led to the creation of a town where all the citizens are people who Wanda had manipulated to turn into her own, made-up characters. In the final episode of the show, it was revealed that the townspeople were all under her spell and have been feeling all of her emotions throughout their time in Westview. 

It is also revealed, through Agatha Harkness, that Wanda Maximoff is also the Scarlet Witch. Agatha was going by the name Agnes and played into the “nosey neighbor” trope. When it is revealed that everything bad that had been happening in the town was somehow caused by her, Wanda finds out and fights her with their individual powers. In the final post-credit scene of the show, Wanda is seen reading the Darkhold, a book that was previously in Agatha Harkness’ possession. 

What’s happening now?

In the newest trailer for MoM, Strange is seen coming up to Wanda in a field filled with trees to talk with her. Later in the trailer, the audience can see the two of them, being shot with the same angles as the field, but this time it doesn’t look the same. Now, Wanda looks like she did during the WandaVision finale post-credit scene, appearing more like the Scarlet Witch. Although they are the same person, Scarlet Witch seems more dark and sinister than the traumatized Wanda Maximoff we were all introduced to in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

In the newest poster for MoM, many fans have pointed out possible images of characters that have not appeared in the official trailer. The poster has Doctor Strange surrounded by shattered glass, and in the glass viewers can see reflections of different things. 

The obvious images are of Christine Palmer, Doctor Strange, and Wanda Maximoff. Some of the hidden “easter eggs” in this poster are Deadpool, Spider-Man, and the shield of Captain (Peggy) Carter from What-If. Are fans seeing things they want to see, or actually seeing small, blurry images of these characters? 

Professor X has also been announced to be making his first MCU appearance in this film, and fans believe he is the man talking to Strange after his arrest. Marvel/Disney had recently acquired the license to 20th Century Fox Marvel productions like X-Men and Deadpool which is the reason for using this film as a way to bring in new characters, such as Professor X, into the official MCU. 

One change in the story, that some fans just are not loving at all, is the change in Iron Man. Fans have gotten to know and love Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark, but since his contract has ended, he is most likely not going to be coming back. Stark’s death in Avengers: Endgame has ended this Stark variant’s appearances in the MCU and rumor has it that Brad Pitt might play the new Iron Man. The speculation of a new Iron Man has been something many fans are not excited about. If he is to play Iron Man in MoM, he will most likely be the Superior Iron Man, in which his Ultron project succeeded. 

In the trailer, there is a scene where the viewer can see that Ultron drones are helpful in some part of the multiverse, which would be the effect of a successful Ultron project. We all know Tony’s Ultron project failed in Avengers: Age of Ultron which resulted in massive destruction and many casualties. Funny enough, this was the Marvel film where Wanda Maximoff was introduced to the MCU, and also the film where Ultron killed her twin brother, Pietro Maximoff. She seems to be a big part of this film and it will be interesting to see her in a world where a drone that caused her so much damage, was successful.

Many Marvel fans on TikTok have been speculating and coming up with their own theories for this film. One of the most popular theories is that Wong is going to die in MoM. This idea has been around since the first MoM trailer dropped, and fans are beginning to worry about Wong’s safety in this movie. He can be seen looking very injured and staring forward with a fearful look on his face. Wong is bound by some red energy, which fans all know to be the color of Maximoff’s energy. Does this scene signify the end of Wong’s appearances? One of the greatest conflicts to this theory is the fact that Wong is now the Sorcerer Supreme and a mutual friend of Wanda’s. Killing a friend could be the beginning of a new villain arc, showing how ruthless she is and can be. 

Viewers can see how out of control things may get in MoM throughout the trailer, specifically how crazy Wanda can get. In the most chaotic moments in the trailer, Wanda’s red energy was typically seen somewhere in the frame, meaning she had to have some part in what was happening. The ending of WandaVision showed Maximoff losing her sons which is most likely leading into a deep sense of loss. Billy and Tommy (her sons) were created as a part of her altered reality but nevertheless, are still her children. By the end of this series, Maximoff had lost her home, her significant other, and her children. She has nothing. Moments like this in film, typically lead to a major villain arc in characters; where they will do anything to get back what they had lost, even if it is unattainable. 

Many more Marvel cameos are to come and will hopefully either be making an official MCU appearance or coming back after a long period of time without them. This film is highly anticipated and fans cannot wait to get back into the theater to watch another hit Marvel movie. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is set to premiere in theaters exclusively on May 6, 2022.