The affects of excessive homework on students

Ethan Mull, Staff Writer

Teacher male hand with white chalk underlining handwritten homework text on dirty blackboard homework stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images
Photo by Istock

Homework is a controversial topic among students and teachers. Oftentimes, teachers will argue that without the homework students’ academic performance will suffer. Frequently students will argue that homework is useless and only serves to take away their free time. In fact, research reveals that excessive homework is unhealthy for students.

Clifton B. Parker is a Stanford University researcher who published a 2014 article called Stanford researcher show pitfalls of homework, that found that too much homework is extremely unhealthy for students. Students develop many health issues “such as headaches, exhaustion, sleep deprivation, unhealthy weight loss, and stomach problems.” Because of excessive homework, students spend less time with their friends and loved ones.

Dr. Joseph Lathan is a researcher at the University of San Diego. His 2020 report titled Education Inequity: Homework and its negative impact on students found that homework negatively affects students who are of low income due to the fact that they are more likely to be busy after school taking care of siblings or working. More homework is an added stress on their lives.

Kenny Gill is a researcher from Atlas of Science, a magazine dedicated to the research of science. He published a 2019  article titled How does homework affect students? The report found that burnout is far too common when it comes to excessive homework. This burnout will demotivate students, causing them to suffer academically.

Janine Bempechat is a writer for a non-profit education journal called Education Next, and she wrote a 2018 article titled The Case for (Quality) Homework. The findings of that article suggest that a reasonable amount of homework is actually beneficial for students’ academic performance. “[The ideal amount of homework for] high schoolers, [is] 90 minutes to per day. Beyond this threshold, more homework does not contribute to learning.”

Homework does offer valuable review time as long as the teacher does not overdo it when assigning homework.

My experience with homework is that it is given out too liberally. I often have to deal with around two to three hours of assignments a day. This amount of homework affected my ability to maintain a job. I used to have a part-time job, but because of the homework given out, I was forced to quit that job to focus on my academic performance.

Homework causes an imbalance in my life. It makes it so I have to focus most of my day on my academics instead of being able to have a balanced amount of downtime and academic time. I spend seven hours at school plus the two to three hours of homework I have to do. That’s nine to ten hours of academic work per day. I understand that a little homework is good, but the research shows that this is just too much homework.

When asked how homework affects him, Sophomore Gabriel Micka said, “I feel as a sophomore with all the events and sports that go on during the springtime teachers should be more relaxed with the amount of homework they assign because students are busier.”

Excessive homework is a problem in the school system because it harms the students. There is a critical need for radical reform on how teachers give out homework, but not the abolishment of homework itself. The work given out should promote learning, and it should not stress the student out to the point that they suffer from unhealthy side effects.