Del Campo Roar

• Graduation ~ June 8th

• Last Day of School ~ June 11th

• 5/22~Varsity Softball Playoff Games 5 and 7 p.m., Arnaiz Park in Stockton

• Senior Goodbye Rally ~ May 31st

• Spring Fling ~ May 30th

Are students prepared to find their ‘right’ school?

AVID helps it's students choose their college - but what about the rest of the school?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anastasia Hatzakos, Editor in Chief

The ongoing debate over student loans and tuition sheds some light on how little students know about college applications, applying to a four-year university, and how to save money on an expensive investment.

Institutions like AVID focus on the capability of students to jump into a four-year school after graduation, but students who aren’t in AVID may know how to apply for college, much less the scholarships that might help them handle rising tuitions.

The reason AVID and others caution against the community college path, is that many students lack the drive or motivation to follow through with the agreement – to put it simply, kids get stuck.

Emily Timmons, sophomore AVID adviser and world history teacher on campus, explains that a four-year college is only worth the tuition if it’s “the right fit” for the student – and that include the major, the preferred social environment, and of course  – the price.

It’s true that many students haven’t grasped the concept that not all four-years are equal, but still, many students and teachers stand by the junior college system. Those who can’t afford a four-year university can still use transfer agreements to take the general education courses and some prerequisite at a much lower cost, before paying for the last two years at the university to finish the degree. Students can also work during their time at a jc, which means they can save money for the four-year expenses during that time.

Plus, if Del Campo wants to prevent students from getting stuck or wants to increase the amount of graduates attending a four-year university, then more students should get the advice that AVID does on college admissions, applications, and scholarships. Too many students who aren’t in AVID get caught off guard by deadlines, requirements, and the general ups and downs of the system.

Senior Victoria Manasyan has been a consistent AP and honors student but even she was struggling to navigate her way through the process.

“AP and Honors classes do give you the grit and determination to keep going even if you don’t know how,” she admitted, “but I felt very ill-prepared for the whole application process.

Maybe it’s time for DC to consider a new support system. That could be a senior seminar class that spends 9 weeks applying for scholarships and outlining the steps to collegiate success, while also identifying the “right school” for each person. That class could also be held for juniors who need to start research over the summer for colleges and the SAT or ACT. It could also be a number of other possibilities. As long as DC students could get more support and guidance, the students are prepared to try it all – whether it is for a four-year or for a jr college.

By Anastasia Hatzakos

Roar Staff Writer

About the Writer
Anastasia Hatzakos, Editor in Chief

Anastasia Hatzakos has been a member of the DC Roar for 3 years. As a senior she holds leadership positions in International Club, Kids Helping Kids, and...

• Are students prepared to find their ‘right’ school?

Opinion

Dress code targets one gender – guess which one

• Opinion

It’s a bird! It’s a plane! No – It’s a woman!

Opinion

What is school teaching us?

Opinion

School choice debate comes to Del Campo

Opinion

AP Classes vs Non AP Classes

Feature

Roar Recipes: Classic Marinara and Spaghetti

Arts & Entertainment

DC Band and Choir bring home top prizes from music festival!

Hall Talk

What are you doing for senior ball ?

School News

Softball Three-Peat

School News

The school culture we want may start with another mural

The Student News Site of Del Campo High School