Del Campo Roar

• Graduation ~ June 8th

• Last Day of School ~ June 11th

• 5/22~Varsity Softball Playoff Games 5 and 7 p.m., Arnaiz Park in Stockton

• Senior Goodbye Rally ~ May 31st

• Spring Fling ~ May 30th

Go green with this club

solar regatta club info

Back to Article
Back to Article

Go green with this club

Amanda Milam

Students have you been on the port side of life lately? If so then come out to solar regatta to have some fun on the open water.

Solar regatta is a competition where other high school students compete against each other for the Regatta Cup and 500 dollars . The team will be going Rancho Seco lake to camp out on the 2nd-4th of may .As a team they build a boat that is solar powered and will be able to run in three different races. The first kind of race is a slalom race which is where they race around multiple buoys. It  is a test of maneuverability and speed. The next is the sprint race where they do a relay of going in a straight line for close to 100 yards to see which boat can be the fastest time recorded. The last race is an endurance race which is where the design and battery of the boat will be put to the test. They can go until there battery runs out or until time runs out.

Mrs.Beader the main adult leading the group talked about how solar regatta come about for Del Campo ¨ Their own outreach (SMUD) because we failed miserably at making solar cars with me earth science class and then in my AP class I got a big sailboat and took that boat and reared fit with solar panels, it didn’t go very fast but it would go.¨

Solar regatta can teach you important life skills like working with a group of people and hearing all of their ideas. Problem solving is also an important learning aspect because when your team gets to the competition and the boats stop working you and your team have to find out how to make it work again. Anyone can join the team, it doesn’t matter if you know almost nothing about solar regatta.

“I joined solar regatta because it was brought up to me by Mrs.Baeder and it sounded cool and fun. I like environmental things and this was a good opportunity to help.”- Alyssa Lohbeck 

Alyssa Lohbeck the Secretary of Green Earth Club.

Solar regatta is apart of the green earth club, where they learn about how plants grow and what season to grow them in. They also learn how to eat health ,and care for the environment around them.  They meet in room 14 at lunch on Fridays and also Thursday and Friday during DCAAEL.

About the Writer
Amanda Milam, Technology Manager and Staff Writer

Amanda Milam is a senior at Del Campo and this her first year on newspaper. Her main interests are the features and opinions sections of the paper because.Her...

• Go green with this club

Arts & Entertainment

DC Band and Choir bring home top prizes from music festival!

• Go green with this club

Hall Talk

What are you doing for senior ball ?

• Go green with this club

School News

Softball Three-Peat

• Go green with this club

School News

The school culture we want may start with another mural

• School News

KHK shoe sale

• School News

DC get’s its own 3 phase saga

• School News

Dance coach retirement and school renovations lead to student anger despite administrative correction.

• Go green with this club

School News

Linking Del Campo together

• Go green with this club

School News

Don’t make a sound

• Go green with this club

School News

Fearless—not just any club!

The Student News Site of Del Campo High School
Go green with this club