Junior Jordyn James completes UC Davis nursing internship

Trish Woodward, Staff Writer

Junior, Jordyn James got accepted to Summer Health Institute for Nursing Exploration and Success (SHINES), a program at UC Davis that supports young people of color who are interested in the medical field. During the internship, students cover diverse nursing topics and get to meet with nursing professionals. Jordyn found out about the program through Mrs. Hinzman. She applied, was accepted, and completed her two week internship at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing last summer.

During the internship students did simulations with high fidelity mannequins. They also learned how to give insert needles for IVs, and how to give people shots by practicing on fake skin. They learned to identify irregularities in heartbeats and practiced looking at the way peoples eyes look when they have certain diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, or clots in their eyes.

In addition to practical nursing skills, students got to hear from many health professionals including forensic scientists, pharmacists, surgeons, ER technicians, doctors who perform transgender surgery, doulas, and janitors that work in the hospitals. They also practiced writing their resume. The interns also learned how to deal with different types of patients. They talked about how to care for your patient and to always put them first.

Jordyn’s early experience with the medical profession was not very positive. One day at her soccer practice, she had a seizure and was taken to the emergency room. The doctors said something was wrong with her heart, but she knew that wasn’t it. Her mom kept pushing the doctors to find out what was wrong with her. They finally ran some more tests and found out that she has a disease. The doctors and nurses weren’t listening to her even though she said something was wrong. This experience caused her to distrust the medical field because they wouldn’t listen her event though she knew her body was telling her. This pushed her become a nurse so that she can help people like her who are often ignored within the medical system.

“This was a great experience and a great program for getting more minorities into the medical field,” Jordyn said. “When I become a nurse I will really make a difference and especially know the people of my culture and what they go through and why they don’t trust [the medical profession] but, I could be an outlet and relate to them.”

Jordyn’s family has many generations of nurses and she has a passion for helping people. Her mom is a nurse who has received many awards for the wonderful care she provides. Jordyn wants to help people too and is grateful for the SHINES internship.

For more information on internships in the health field, click here.