The Student News Site of Del Campo High School

Del Campo Roar

Del Campo Roar

Del Campo Roar

Students hang out with the DC Cougar at inaugural sensory-friendly dance

On Friday, February 9th, Del Campo threw their first sensory-friendly dance. The goal of this dance is to provide an event where special needs kids can have experiences just like every other high schooler. Typical dances can be too overwhelming for some people to have fun. Mrs. Nelson, the Special Education Department Chair,  student government, and the Best Buddies Club all helped put this event together. Best Buddies is an all-inclusive club that helps people with IDD’s (intellectual development disabilities) make friends with people on campus.

There are many ways to make a dance more sensory-friendly. This dance had quieter music, no flashing or bright lights, other activities besides dancing, and more chaperones for fewer kids. The hope is that this dance brings attention to the fact that not everyone can attend normal school activities, but they still deserve the chance to experience them. The organizers would like this dance to pave the way for more just like it, and to spread to other schools besides Del Campo.

To the left, to the left, to the right, to the right. Students and The Cougar dance to the Cupid Shuffle during the sensory dance. Mr. Ellis, a PE teacher, was willing to lend the cub gym to hold this dance. He commented, “High school can be very boring, and we all need something to make it more fun. School is not all about education, it’s about experiences, and everyone needs experiences.” Photo by Caitlin Helton

One, two, three cheese! Students pause to capture the moment, at  Del Campo’s very first sensory dance. This event had dancing, games, hula hooping, a photo booth, and food and drinks. Del Campo is one of the first schools in the district to have a dance accessible to all. Photo by Caitlin Helton